Monday, February 23, 2009

My Menstral Movie

The coolest thing about movies is just how spectacularly they fill a void in an evening.
seriously. you can select any movie:
Moonstruck--Directed by Norman Jewison
and it can create an evening of ambience and enjoyment.
Moonstruck was released in 1987 and stars Cher(Best Actress), Nicolas Cage, Olympia Dukakis(Best Supporting Actress), Danny Aiello and Vincent Gardenia.

The movie is definately one of my tops five favorite romantic comedies and meets the basic requirements (accordings to me) that make a romantic comedy palatable.
1) quick pace...but not unintelligable
2) good supporting cast
3) good leading lady or gentleman
4) good score
5) good director

Norman Jewison actually directed Fiddler on the Roof and Jesus Christ Superstar back in the early seventies, both of which are two good musicals-made-into-movies. Jewison was able to blend a great family story by a novice movie screenwriter (John Patrick Shandley was a playwright before this movie) and a stellar supporting cast into a fantastic movie.

Cher shines as Loretta, an almost-middleaged widow who settles for a man she doesn't love because she believes she has bad luck. She later falls in love with her fiance's passionately poetic younger brother when she goes to invite him to the wedding.

At the end of the movie I find myself smiling because its easy to smile. The movie is a modern-day fable--pressing how important it is to wait for love.

What cracks me up is just how similar this movie is to a play. The speed is so fast I feel like I'm watching a play.

My one pet peeve is Nick Cage's acting. I'm not overly sure why Jewison selected him; perhaps because he is very, VERY over-the-top. But i just don't like him as the character. He's abrasive and irritating. The remainder of the supporting cast is awesome.

All in all its a good date movie and it certainly did the trick for menstral monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment